The project is funded by EU through KARLO and implemented by Catholic Diocese of Kitui – Medical department. The aim of the project is to upscale climate smart grain amaranth technologies for food security, nutrition and income generation in Kitui County.
Project Duration: 24 months from 19th March 2020
Technologies: TerereSmart and Katumani Gold (KATGOLD)
- To promote farmer adoption of new climate smart technologies for increased production and productivity of grain amaranth value chain.
- To link farmers to grain amaranth commodity markets
- To facilitate farmer access to and use of production inputs
- To enhance farmer access to and derive services from financial institutions
- To build capacity of farmers and other stakeholders along the grain amaranth value chain.
- Farmers adopt climate smart technologies for increased production and productivity
- Farmers linked to commodity markets and deriving economic benefits
- Farmers have increased access to and use of production inputs
- Farmer have access to and derive services from financial institutions
- Farmers receive and demonstrate skills on new technologies and business development along the value chain
Coverage area: 4 sub counties – 10 Wards
- 30 demo plots established and preparations for planting during October November December rains ongoing
- Purchase and distribute certified seeds to farmers – Procurement of 450Kgs Amaranth Certified seeds for the two verities has been done from Kalro Katumani and distribution ongoing
- Dissemination of amaranth information – One banner with Amaranth information procured and one radio talk held.
Iiani O. G Group members, Nguutani Ward in Mwingi West participating in amaranth demo plot preparation in readiness for Oct-Dec 2020 rain season in Kitui
Figure 2: Mutethya Kathuma, Matinyani Ward in Kitui west demo plot at the final stages of preparations for grain amaranth planting in Kitui..