Spiritual and moral development of both learners and teachers is a critical part of the education system. The church has over years provided leadership in the process of sponsorship of educational institutions and we pray that her efforts will be blessed and felt by all. Currently in the diocese we have 251 Catholic Sponsored Primary Schools, 89 Catholic Sponsored Secondary schools, 11 private primary schools, 17 private polytechnics, 3 Catholic Sponsored polytechnics, 3 middle level colleges and 1,126 students/pupils sponsored by different programmes.
We have the following programs in secondary school
- Catholic Pastoral awareness
- Principal Trainig: so far this year(2013) the education department has trained principal twice. Five full days in Strathmore Univerisyt in January and for three days at Kitui Pastoral Centre.
- CRE in-service
- B.O.G/P.T.A members training
- Deputy Principals training
- Other support staff training.
- Annual Catholic Teachers Mass has also been initialized and it will be held on 30th October 2013.
For primary schools we have the following programmes
Abstinence and behavior change among the youth. (ABY). This year we trained 65 teachers from across the diocese and we shall do a refreshers course for the teachers who were earlier trained in the second term. Under the same programme, the education department has been selected by the national office to implement family matters programme aimed at enhancing the parents’ capacity to promote family values and form their children well.
- National C.R.E in-service for the primary schools teachers. This targets schools in Boma, Mtune and Kabati parishes.
- Cisret Programme. This is a three month course for capacity building for primary school teachers. It’s undertaken at Tabor hill Spiritual centre in Nyahururu. This year five teachers graduated in this course from Mutune, Kyuso and Kamuwongo parishes.
- Primary School Teachers enhancement Programme: This programmes is aimed at enlivening our Catholic Teachers to take a leading role in formation of our pupils coupled with active participation in the church. This programme has been implemented in Kitui and Mwingi Regions. The same will be done in Mutomo Region before the end of the year.
Primary Premium Programme: this is a mentorship and leadership programme which is targeting poor and bright children in the diocese.
- Child Protection Programme: Tis involves both teachers, pupils on child rights and avoiding child abuse.